Members of Woodbridge Riverside Trust and friends celebrating the first opening of the Longshed in April 2018
What is the Woodbridge Riverside Trust?
WRT is a charitable trust set up to:
– Protect, preserve and enhance the character of the Deben riverside for the benefit of everyone.
– Educate people about Woodbridge’s maritime heritage
The Trust is formally registered with the Charities Commission. The WRT charity number is 1,159,510 and the company number is 06743463.
Our vision is to secure long term benefit for the community through the sheer enjoyment of our maritime history and riverside environment, embracing learning, training and skills development.
Our aims are to:
- make the Woodbridge Waterfront an attractive and interesting place to be
- provide opportunities for people of all ages to gain understanding of the maritime significance of Woodbridge and to acquire and use relevant practical, historical, environmental, archaeological and scientific skills
- build connections between Woodbridge, Sutton Hoo, other parts of the United Kingdom and beyond based on our common heritage and maritime links.
The Anglo-Saxon ship:
Construction of the experimental full-scale replica of the Sutton Hoo Anglo-Saxon royal burial ship is the catalyst project that will define the Longshed as a centre of excellence and a major international attraction. It will cement the links with Sutton Hoo, and be an immense source of pride and identity for this part of Suffolk. The project is being led by our sister charity The Sutton Hoo Ship’s Company.
Who runs the Trust?
The Trust is run by a Board of Directors who are also trustees, and an executive team.
The executive team members may be trustee/directors, but don’t have to be. In fact, as the organisation matures, there should be separation of their roles. The trustees are responsible for overseeing the executive’s actions, making sure for example, that the Trust is still headed in the direction of its formal aims.
The Trust executive team is the final authority for plans and expenditure put up by the individual function teams who manage the following areas:
- Management of the Longshed
- Community activities and events including events on the John Gibbins Gallery
- Media and publicity
The trustees meet formally three or four times a year. Email us with important issues for the trustees to discuss at these meetings to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Woodbridge Riverside Trust is a community project for and about Woodbridge. If you would like to get involved in any of these activities, please email: email@example.com.